Individuality

I would like to write about individuality. I always considered thinking of oneself first, or focusing on oneself as selfish. I even felt uncomfortable about wanting to be an opera singer, because I didn't think that it was doing enough for others. But, if you give too much of yourself to others then you start to loose the essence of living. I want to be more clear. What is the essence of living? shouldn't you empty yourself out into others, then be filled up again by Christ? So true. But, didn't Christ also create you exactly as you are, an individual, just as each leaf on a tree is different? But, what if you have nothing of your individual self to empty out? You have given so much of yourself, that you don't have anything to even give back. What do I mean by anything? I mean happiness. Happiness that comes from within yourself, and not from others. I bet that Mother Theresa, the icon of selflessness, next to Christ, ofcourse, still loved herself enough to take care of her own needs. Taking care of yourself, being good to yourself, and staying in touch with your own emotions--however short-lived they are, is not wrong. God created us all to be individuals. We are to stay our unique selves, with our unique emotions, personalities, and talents; then give that back to others. That is the stuff that life is made of. That is what makes life worth living, and that is what is so easy to give.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home