The Joy of Rest
It is amazing how different you feel after resting. I am beginning to think that a lot of our problems could be solved if we would just...Rest. Ah....Even the word is satisfying. We keep up a break-neck speed all the time, our bodies are crying out to rest, and what do we do? We eat, drink alcohol, watch t.v., eat some more, go shopping, read mindless things like chick-magazines that make us worry whether or not our butts are too big. Or, we read self-help books to try to decide, while we should be resting, if we can improve ourselves in some way. Is that resting? It seems like every american uses their resting routine for an objective as well. Here's an example...speaking mostly to women here..."I want to go lay out, so that i can look good in that dress tonight." Not really resting there--more worrying about looking good in a dress. (aside--ask yourself if your resting routine includes an objective of some kind) So, what is resting? Resting should not have an objective at all. That is why it is rest. The problem is, I don't think that we know how to do that anymore. That is why so many people are over-weight, depressed, hurried, and just down-right grouchy. We have got to re-define our priorities and learn how to chill out, watch the flowers grow, and just plain exist. Exist for no reason at all. Just for the sake of existing.

3 Comments:
I find especially that since i have had children, I actually feel guilty for resting. I also feel an urgency to make the house perfect instead of just playing with my children. my new goal is to let the dishes sit, and not care while I play dolls with my daughter. it's a small goal, but it will mean so much to her.
yep, it is interesting to notice that God rested on the 7th day. If God needed some good ol' R and R then what makes us think that we can get away without it.
I just love the little kitten in this picture. Stinkin' cute little kitty. Just makes Twain seem real.
Post a Comment
<< Home