Wednesday, June 07, 2006

vaccinated with pickle juice

My dad, who is a preacher, used to say to his congregations, "you all look like you have been vaccinated with pickle juice." Ofcourse, only my jovial dad could get away with saying such a thing. However, has anyone else noticed this problem with christians, in and out of church? We are free from the chains of sin through the power of Christ and we have the gift of ever-lasting life to look forward to, yet...we are vaccinated with pickle juice.
I recently went to a bible study where all the women sat there quietly in their chairs, looking...well, vaccinated with pickle juice; and I thought to myself, "AAAhhhh, I would rather be with the "so called sinners!"
so, why are we so prim and proper, stuffy and stodgy, stuck-up and stiff? the sad thing is, if we appear this way to each other, how are we appearing to the rest of the world? Probibly much the same. That is where our sadness should lie. So, I have two words for you...Jesus and fun. Can they co-exist? Are we afraid to let loose of our tightly drawn corsets in Christ? Did Jesus mean for us to be so stuffy? What are your thoughts?

6 Comments:

Blogger Seth Ward said...

Those women probably aren't gettin' any. HAAA!!!!

sorry. Well I think that is sad. I think you can lighten the mood by randomly saying the word "poopoolicous!" and pump your fist like you won something when everyone else is saying "amen"

For some reason your blog reminded me of somthing off subject. I personally hate church advertisement TV commercials. Like "come to the cornerstone community church, you'll fit right in" that wouldn't be a problem except the person saying it looks like they would eat me if I met them.

We are definetly heavenly to do any earthly good sometimes.

11:04 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

I guess it's just been making me think lately. I wonder why we can all appear so unhappy sometimes. Maybe we are just going through the motions. maybe we aren't really taking time to walk with God. maybe we are just lonely, sad, scared, vulnerable, insecure, or homosapien. I just want to be approachable. I think that christians should be approachable. vaccinated with pickle juice is more like it. i sound like a complainer, heck, maybe I am the only vaccinated with pickle juice one here. So here goes...POOPOOOLICIOUS!!!!
i do feel better!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a ball at everything I do. I find little in common with those who equate fun and sin. I am, after all, the Cachinnator!

12:09 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

cach-actually, I had a really strong temptation to say, "except for cach, judging by his picture." you definitely don't look like you have a fun problem! It's good that you are in the ministry, atleast, i think you are, because I have noticed that congregations will take on the personality of the pastor.
Kat--you hit the nail on the head. rules instead of love. everyone is so afraid to mess up all the time. i think when that happens, people also forfeit individuality. I notice that instead of trying to be ourselves, people just try to be little clones of each other. after a while, this begins to wear on a person. like with being a mother. everyone tries to buy a christian book on how to be a mother, follow that certain set of rules, instead of just being yourself and letting God lead you.

7:39 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

maybe i should just go to the next bible study meeting and say, "poopilicious!" when one of the quiet moments come up, like seth suggested.

7:40 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

kamela--I don't mean to seem like I see God as Boring or strict, not at all. It just seems like we as christians, although this may not be you, can come across as unhappy sometimes. it needs to be the opposite of that. We need to be showing God's love on our faces and hearts. We seem a little irreverant here, that is for certain, but I think that we are just trying really hard not to take ourselves too seriously. When I went to that bible study, i didn't sense an atmosphere of love, I sensed an atmosphere of constraint. I think that that is what turns a lot of non-believers off. I have a few non-christian friends and it hurts me to know that that atmosphere of constraint and the face of "vaccinated with pickle juice," is part of the reason that they left the church. I think that we as christians, should be aware of this.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home