Friday, June 09, 2006

I didn't know I loved him so

Recently, I decided that I was going to be like Sesame Street and buy a goldfish, like Elmo's dorothy, for my 2 year old and 1 year old. In my mind, I romantically pictured them watching and laughing at little dorothy while they ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I pictured the glass bowl looking charming in the center of our little breakfast table every day, and watching the cute little fish flutter around playfully, giving us all a show.
However, I never really thought about the person who must change the water. Ah, the nasty water. After only two days, the gold fish was swimming in less than charming water. Yes, only two days. By the time he didn't finish his flakey food and pooped a few times, it was less than appetizing to sit and eat at the table. So, I thought, okay, goldie has to go. I started asking anyone I could if they wanted a fish, and my fellow moms would just look at me like, "no way." Somehow they must have known already about the nasty water dilemma. I couldn't find a home for goldie.
So, I just clamped down and said, okay, it is time to change the water, for the THIRD time in a week. I began to pour goldie's water out slowly, watching him frantically swim around as his water level went down, and I thought, "okay, I'll just spoon him out when the water level gets low, put him in a cup and clean the bowl AGAIN. Then, in the blink of an eye, he flies, or should I say swims, down the water stream and into the garbage disposal. "No goldie, No!" I scream. I had no idea I liked him so much. Luckily, the disposal wasn't on, but I could see his little gold body floundering around at the bottom. I felt around, and he was wiggly and wet, but I didn't care somehow, it didn't even gross me out, all I could think was, "hang on goldie, hang on! Momma's comin'!" And, ahhhh....to safety, back into the cup of water I had set aside. Goldie was okay.
I guess the moral of the story is, you never know how much you love something until it almost finds it's dry death at the bottom of your nasty garbage disposal.
So, I shall romantically change the water for as many times as it takes, as long as goldie can stay. I didn't know I loved him so.

10 Comments:

Blogger Paulo said...

My brother always said keeping a fish in a bowl made it die a slow, painful death from asphyxiation. I've known people to keep goldfish in bowls for years, though.

Anyway, we just got a fishtank, and the fish kept dying, and my girlfriend kept changing the water. After she had changed it a few times and the fish kept dying, we went to a fish store and asked the dude there what we should do. It turns out there's something called new tank syndrome. There are good bacteria that develop in the water that eat the fish waste, but in the beginning there isn't enough bacteria. When you change the water, you get rid of it, making the problem worse. Without the bacteria, the water gets cloudy, and the fish die. I know the bacteria live in large numbers in the filter in our tank, but I don't know where they'd be in your bowl.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Chaotic Hammer said...

Operamom - Just to follow up on paulo's comment...

Consider getting a little fishtank instead of a bowl. I think you can get a pretty small one for fairly cheap, that has a little pump that keeps the water turning over and running through some sort of filter. Then you only have to change the filter once in a while.

Also remember that if you have water from a municipal water system (as opposed to a well) it's chlorinated, and you must put the drops in the water to neutralize the chlorine, otherwise the fish will die.

4:04 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

paulo--no kidding! so, i am killing goldie by changing the water too often? he seems to be fine so far, but I will keep that in mind. so does the cloudiness go away eventually?
chaotic hammer--yeah, i think it is time for a fish tank. my kids just completely love the fish, and i noticed that it seems to lower my stress level even. i'll sit down for a water break, and just watch goldie go. it's soothing.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Seth Ward said...

two things:

1. this same thing happened to me except with a cat.

2. Whatever you do, do not get tempted to see what would happen if you were to let just a little drop of dishwashing soap in the water. The fish will think it is food and eat it. Then you will be forced to let the 5 year old boy at your best friend's house (where you committed the crime) take the blame and get scolded.

10:54 PM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

Seth, you had a cat that went down the garbage disposal? That was purposeful wasn't it? Poor, poor cat.

OpMom, I have no fish advice to give you but to say, if you find Goldie belly up, it's over.

This might be my favorite post of yours yet. Seriously, I love it.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fancy, I was right there with you. I want to know about Seth putting a cat down the disposal!

I like fish. I used to always keep them as pets. Now I only eat them.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Seth Ward said...

you know if you live in Thialand that you could get a double whammy cach. You could feed goldfish to your cat and then... well. They don't call it Cashew Kitty for nuthin'

11:34 AM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

GROSS! What in the name of Sue are you talking about?

You are a strange one, Seth, a strange one.

I will be keeping all pets AWAY from you.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

Put a couple of snails in there with Goldie. You can get them where you bought the fish. They will help you keep the bowl clean. They're scavengers.

Seth, I always wondered what happened to my kitten all those years ago. Was that you?

1:31 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

sorry everyone. as is always my personality, i will occasionally drop out of blog space! i love you all, and will blog soon! i have a big topic that i am mulling over. will blog soon.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home