Friday, July 14, 2006

"miss hospital corners"

Look at her. Miss Hospital corners. Something that I have never been. (for those of you wondering, this is a line from "When harry met sally." Basically, harry is telling sally that she is a perfectionist. sorry for assuming you are an idiot, but if you had never seen the movie, you might wonder.) so, my new self-improvement task is to be detail oriented. (yes, smirk, gasp, and laugh for those of you who know me. oh, and "shut up!")
I have always respected those detail oriented people in my life. I look at them in awe and wonder and think, "how the heck do they do that? So, my challenge goes out to all of you a.d.d. people. (seth, snoopy, campfirehottie) Can you go one single day being detail oriented? Can you? Here is your challenge. Finish a task completely in a detailed way, without stopping to do anything else. One task to completion. No distractions. consistency! Good Luck. You will be amazed how hard it is. Our journey has begun.

9 Comments:

Blogger operamom said...

okay, this is a good example. I put the lid back on the bathroom trash can, actually put a liner in the bottom, and then I concealed the trash can, knowing that a "detail" person would never let their trash can show. even in their own bathroom. I still need to clean the hair off the floor though. hee hee hee.

9:13 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

i have also noticed that detail people will conceal and organize messes. their laundry might be dirty, but it is tucked away somewhere instead of the floor in case someone drops by.

9:29 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

detailed people often pick something up every time they exit a room. working on that today. oh, and snoopy, i know you are not as bad as us wards, so don't be offended. dan has converted you.

11:26 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

kat, yep, being a detail person can certainly be a drag, and it can be even more of a drag for people who live with detail people. i think that either you have a case of A.D.D or you have obsessive compulsive disorder like your boss. it seems that there are those two types. i am so on the other side of being a detail person, that i want to swing the other way towards the middle a little. i don't think that i could ever be like your boss. she sounds like a crack pot, and i have known many of those. i just don't think that i am cut from the same mold. my issue is that i don't have any routines, systems, or procedures. i never do anything the same way twice. i just want to have more order. I think that we can have the best of both worlds. we can be our "cool, laid back, creative selves," (no confidence problem here) yet still learn to have a clean house. We shall see...

7:11 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

detail log 9:15pm: my daughter's room is covered with toys, the downstairs is a mess, basically the house is tornado-esk, but, I am stripping navy blue 80's wall-paper happily from bathroom walls.

7:18 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

yeah, one of my un-organized friends turned me onto Fly lady. so cool! i liked her ideas about just throwing away 25 items a day, and always leaving your kitchen sink shiney, even if the house is a mess!
i am so glad that you have found an "in the middle spot." that is sort of my quest. it also depends largely on your spouse. my hubby, God love him, is what i would call a "sloppy perfectionist." if the house is immaculate, he will keep it that way. But, if there is a shoe on the floor, he throws in the towel. oh well, ya work with what ya got!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

This is a good challenge, operamom! I was pretty organized until I had kids. With a 9-month-old and a 3-year-old to keep up with, it's so easy to say, "I just can't do that...I'll do it later." I need to start taking advantage of even short periods of time during the day so that things don't pile up on me. I also like the flylady site. She's a cool chick. One day I told my little girl that the house was going to fall in (because it was such a mess), and she said, "Mommy, the house is gonna fall?" I told her that I was just being silly, and I felt so bad about scaring her that I got out the fingerpaints for her. Oh well...sometimes you just have to ignore the mess! :)

5:42 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

susanne, yep you definitely just have to ignore the mess sometimes. just the other day, my daughter, who is almost 3 said to my neighbor down the street, who is a "miss hospital corners," --"my house is a MESS!" it was funny because i know that she doesn't know the difference, but she hears me say that all the time!

6:47 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoopy--yeah, i really respect the people in your business. seems like you can be a mommie and be rich too! yep, one time my hubby bought me an electronic organizer and it just didn't work for me. oh, a palm-pilot. anywho, it was a flop for me, because i could never figure it out!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home