Saturday, June 17, 2006

Mary or Martha?

I am referring to the story in the bible where Mary and Martha had Jesus over for dinner and Mary sat at the feet of the savior, listening to him speak, while Martha did the dishes in the kitchen. Martha came in and basically complained that Mary was lazy for not helping her. Surprisingly, Jesus scolded Martha and praised Mary. Jesus knew that Mary had it right for wanting to be with Jesus while he was there. The dishes would just have to wait.
So, excuse my loose depiction of that story, all you bible scholars, but I what I am trying to get at, is that I am definitely a Martha. I think that we all are! So many times, I could be spending time with my kids, in all of their precious moments! But, what am I doing? Washing dishes. Not to be too hard on myself, but I think that i should definitely soak up all their moments and not stress so much over housework. We all just need to check our priorities sometimes.

14 Comments:

Blogger operamom said...

well, the thing about having kids is that i could spend the entire time trying to keep a clean house, instead of playing with them. so easy to do. i used to let my house get too messy, then i got obsessed with cleaning it. i think the key is, play with kids first, then clean.
snoopy--i found the picture at google under housework and images only. some other funny ones there too.
sarah and snoopy--check out adorableones.blogspot.com

7:15 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoopy--either you have a clean man or you don't. i have found that it is easier to just give up and do it myself. one thing is for sure, he does verbally appreciate me, even if he doesn't do housework!
and atleast he admits he needs to help more! that's a start!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Martha gets a bad rap based on this one interaction. The way you summed it up is usually the way I hear it preached, and yet remember that Martha is the one who makes the big christological confession in John 11:27. I don't think it has to do so much with who we are. Martha was certainly doing the right thing! In her culture, Mary should have been helping her and dinners don't make themselves. So it's not about who we are, it's about setting Jesus above custom, responsability, and culture. Good thoughts. I think you're right that dishes can wait.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Seth Ward said...

A man after my own heart!

Dishes can always wait.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Seth Ward said...

whatever are you implying snoopy? That because you keep him happy "elsewhere" that he is entitled to mow, cook, clean, laundry, bring home the bacon, AND fix the leaky toilet?

4:21 PM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

I used to feel guilty about a messy home. When I first got married, I thought I had to be super wife. And I'm not good at being neat and tidy. So it was stressful. I had been taught in Bible studies that a Proverbs whatever number it is wife always keeps a clean house.

Well, I believe this is true. But I let go a bit and let the grace of Christ in on that one. I'll get better as time goes on, and one day, I'll have enough money to get a housekeeper. Hopefully.

10:18 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoops--what you say is true. there is actually a book called, "sex begins in the kitchen." it is a give and take. it sounds like you have a nice and lucky hubby!

cach--I didn't realize that about Martha. I mean that there was anything positive about her. She does get a bad rap. I do want to let you in on a woman's mind though, and why that I do think that she was wrong in her actions. We women do this a lot. We work hard, namely in the kitchen, and we are thinking to ourselves, "what the heck, why isn't so and so helping me? could I get a freakin' hand here!" now, it is true, we do need a hand, but I think that sometimes it is true that the dishes really can wait. something better is on the burner, and you should partake in whatever that is. then, just do dishes later. I am not saying let them pile up, but so many times i am resentful and stressed over...housework. So many women want to be martha stewart perfect like the Jones. it just isn't worth it. life is too short, and that is what Martha was doing. Question: Was Martha preparing dinner, or was she really cleaning dinner up? this would make a difference, because, yes, dinner has to be made by someone. but, if she was just cleaning, it could wait.

11:10 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

fancypants--so true what you say about Proverbs 31. that is exactly the kind of perfection that trips me up sometimes. I think, okay, i gotta get up a 5, not sleep, press the linens, make perfect meals, clean perfectly, dress perfectly, and all with a mary poppins smile.
eeeeekkkkk!!!!
we should aspire to that perfection but, not at the risk of our sanity and our family's too.

11:14 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

sarah--by the way, so glad you are here.

11:15 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

Kat--on second thought, me too

8:04 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoopy, I'm not trying to say we shouldn't talk about this here, but it sounds like what you said would make a really good blog. i don't know much about perception is reality, but I have heard you mention it before. you NEED to blog on perception is reality. there's my two cents. also, positive reinforcement psychology would be a good blog too.

4:42 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoopy--also, so true about family routine.

4:47 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoopy--one more thing and i will shut up. don't take seth ward's comments too seriously, he is clearly baiting you. hee, hee, heee.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Seth Ward said...

Do I look serious to you???

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home