Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bibles for bums?

okay, I live in a city where there are a lot of homeless guys on street corners with signs. Every time I pass one, I get this little sting in my heart. The majority really do look a lot like this picture, and and they look like they are lucky to even be standing. I think to myself, "as a Christian, shouldn't I be doing something?" these are precisely the people that Jesus wants us to help. but how? Here are the common points of view that I hear from people. "God helps those who help themselves." basically saying, they got that way for a reason, and they would just use whatever you gave them for drugs. This might be true. another point of view says, "okay, well, stop and give a few bucks to the poor slob." That is usually what I end up doing. But, I can't ever quite get them out of my head still. is that really enough? Here is a revolutionary thought. what if, we pretended to be Jesus. We actually got out of our cars, grabbed the bum off the street, took him home, bathed him, clothed him, feed him, and ministered to him. is that what Jesus would do? Let's be honest. I think he would do that. I said that to opera papa on the way home from church today though, and his response went a little like this. "opera mom, absolutely not. I am not going to take a "could be" sex-craved, possibly diseased, possibly mentally ill, person home with my sweet children and wife, even if that is what Jim Elliot might have done." (For those of you wondering, Jim Elliot was one of the missionaries murdered by tribal indians in south america--his wife later went on to convert those same indians, her children at her side.)
This is pretty much what we all say. But, I think that Jesus obviously lived dangerously, and bums are right under our noses. We see them every day. (those of us who live in cities) I just wonder if we are doing enough. so, I have a "bleeding heart" proposal. Since poverty is really a state of mind, and people get to poverty because of a corrupt state of mind, (to clarify this statement: I mean the people who stay in a constant state of poverty, and can't seem to crawl out of the hole...something is amiss), shouldn't we be giving the bums...bibles? The word of God changes a person's heart. What if, we carried a stack of gideon bibles in our car, with some money folded in, say 5 bucks, (enough for a meal), and passed those out to the bums as we drive by. That is what I would call middle of the road, lukewarm Christianity, not at all living dangerously, but atleast taking that extra step to help. Here's what I am thinking before you start or continue chastising me. I realize that most of these men are mentally ill. Some of them are just plain drunks or druggies. But, I am looking for that one case, perhaps out of 50, who is just down on his luck. He opens up this great book, and he seeks help. Romantic and idealistic I know. but...wouldn't it be worth it?
I don't know what the answer is, that's why I am asking. What do you think? Because, lets be honest. Just driving by is not enough. You can feel it when you drive by can't you?

10 Comments:

Blogger Seth Ward said...

I think that is a GREAT idea opmam.

The homeless guys in America are exotic birds. Most of them are mentally ill or on drugs. I started shooting that documentary a while back and I never finished. I need to. I interviewed one guy who had these severely blood-shot eyes. He said that he had been beaten up the night before by a few random guys who got out of their trucks and just beat him up. Pretty heart-breaking.

He was obviously still on drugs but he said that he couldn't get a job because if he did he would loose his government health insurance which paid for his AIDS treatments.

The homeless in America, most of them, suffer from something much deeper than poverty or starvation.

Taking them into your home would be a bold move. I have thought of it myself. Quite a few times. However, I don't blame OpPop one bit for his reasons or reactions. They are the same as mine.

I hope to finish the documentary next spring to shed some light on the world in which they live.

10:33 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

i loved that documentary. freakin' amazing. the whole world needs to see that. YOU MUST FINISH IT...

i must admit, i was surprised by your reaction. i was expecting people to violently disagree with me.
sometimes i just feel sort-of helpless to help anyone. i know that i am helping my immediate family, but hey, the unsaved do that. i mean, what am i really doing?
i do compassion international, and that does feel good, but it's so far away.
the thing is, helping doesn't just change the people you are helping, it changes you. i feel like i am just in a rut with my christianity, and i think it is because i am not making it real.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

Not too long ago, our church made a concentrated effort to help this particular branch of homeless. They had vans that went down to John 3:16 mission and brought the men to church. They tried to help them get jobs and a few even allowed them to stay with them or at the food pantry.
A couple of the cases turned out okay, but most ended up tragically because the problems that these men face usually involve alcoholism, drug addiction or crime. We found that a couple of the men were sex offenders, still others did better for awhile then "fell off the wagon." One man even started going out with a woman in the church and ended up stealing her car when he went on a binge.
I don't know exactly what would have been the right turn to take. At least we tried. I guess all I can say is that you have to be careful, especially where children are involved. And you can help people without actually bringing them to live with you. I'm thinking of a relative who has had all the help in the world, a place offered to him to live while he gets on his feet, family who loves him. But he still may end up like these men despite all the best efforts. It's sad.

4:24 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

lexie, it sounds like your church rocks. that was a true effort. i guess that effort is all you can really make. if it turns out, great, then you have a success case. maybe overall, we need more discipleship. all the drug programs, homeless houses, and other government programs don't make a difference without discipleship. do you think that your church did that? i am just curious. (NOT BEING JUDGEMENTAL HERE, YOUR CHURCH OBVIOUSLY ROCKS.) i'm just wondering where we are going wrong in helping these "bums" who are obviously to weak to help themselves. did the church just take care of their physical needs, then let them go, or did they continue in disciple ship?
i guess it all just comes down to free will as well. each person is so different. each person has to make their own choices. but, when the choices we make get to be so bad, and you end up a bum, when do we help them?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

I'm not sure exactly what we should do; it's a really hard call and there are no easy answers. But I know the most important thing is that we TRY, make the effort, even if it is only carrying canned goods in our car or helping serve a hot meal at a mission. Sometimes I think it is not so important whether you won the battle, but that you showed up for the fight.

8:35 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

ya know, we might be hitting on something here. the sign really should say, "will work for rewards." no one responds to hand outs. we should give rewards for working and bettering yourself, and in turn, that teaches a person to have respect for themselves in the mean time. men hate to work, but men need to work and when they do, they get gratification. the only good a man has for himself is to labor and toil under the sun. oh, and i thought of that myself. (NOT!)
snoopy, i don't know how to get involved in politics. any tips?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

The hardest thing I've encountered about local politics is finding information on the judges we vote on. Snoopy, if you find out anything about this as you become more involved in local matters, please let me know. Most people I ask don't have a clue.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

Here are a few ideas for helping this particular branch of American homeless:

Do what Seth is doing by making a film, writing about the problem, etc.

Carry some New Testaments with you, along with some canned goods. That way if you run across someone on a corner, etc. you will be ready to help them. Just be cautious. Remember, you are no good to anyone if you are dead.

Get involved with your local Salvation Army or John 3:16 mission. These folks have been around a long time and know the ropes when it comes to these types of situations. They've helped these guys for a long time and they know what works and what doesn't.

9:03 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

i guess the bottom line, is doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

You got it, girlfriend!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home