gospel is kinda like opera...only good live, and only good when done to perfection
Hello, my name is opera mom, and i am a bonafied music snob.okay, i will admit it. the only gospel that i have ever liked was Sandi Patti. I mean in the older years. you know. the "We shall behold Him," years. Unfortunately, all of the churches I have ever attended butchered gospel something fierce. Here's an example. Getting notes wrong. Severely out of tune. Wide vibrato. i say again, in case you missed it, wide vibrato. All I remember about gospel music growing up was watching someone's larynx shake from the audience, and sweating bullets for them at the end, just hoping they would be able to hit that last high note. You know the one that modulated, higher, and higher until the singer could screech your ears clean off. I never knew anyone could turn that purple.
okay, that said, i think you get that i didn't have great gospel moments growing up. until....i met my music minister. only the most talented gent to ever grace the choral church music stage. And, the man can pick music. He had a gospel galla, (yes, say that with a southern drawl), that would catapult your senses straight to heaven. The man did it to perfection!!!!! Wow. It occurred to me, as we were closing with "A midnight cry," (sung perfectly by an African American soulful, holy spirit filled, beauty)...that I had missed out my whole life on good gospel. Good gospel, done right, can send you closer to heaven than any other music, and i say that with all honesty. ME! opera snob. I swear I was ready to go home to the promise land.
And, opera is the same way. there is nothing worse than listening to a bad opera singer. you just want to get up and leave. and, like gospel, sense the music is so beautiful, every jo smo wants to sing it. And, i almost forgot to mention, to go along with my title, that both gospel and opera are only really good live. I run across a lot of people who turn their noses up at opera, and then i ask them one fateful question..."have you ever been to an opera?" the stuttered answer is always..."well, no." once again, opera snob strikes again. It's the same for gospel. When i am flipping radio stations, i am never going to stop at the gospel station no matter how well it is done. it is definitely a live art form like opera. (not to say that recordings are bad, but live is indefinitely better. Unlike rock and roll, where live is often...well...milli vanilli.)
Anyway, that said...I have a new love. (say this also with a southern accent), Good ol' Gospel music.

9 Comments:
Everyone in the audience is wondering if they are the ones whose larynx you were watching...
no, not you. you were my idol, oh great one!! no, i guess it was more the teenage years that i saw all the bobbing larynxs. my impressionable childhood years are filled with memories of all the great singing that my older sister did.
I'm with you. It's the same with Shakespeare: live and good or not at all.
Me to. Although, I have been to quite a few live and good opera productions and sometimes I have been known to snore into a coma. Especially that long drawn out no-melody-in-sight Falstaff. Snore-ola. But good lord, haven't seen a Puccini live that hasn't killed me and I am always a sucker for a good Marriage of Figaro. Cossi and Fledermaus darn funny as well. Carmen, well, I have to say, I know its great, I get a little bored when they are hiding out and dealing cards.
Good gospel is hard to find in these parts. I would like to see you guys do it up right.
You're right! Live is better for most music (though I agree about rock). But I love a good recording of an aria too. And I have heard some great recordings of black gospel. Have you ever listened to Mahalia Jackson? She's awesome!! When she gets to the part of "Sweet Little Jesus Boy" where she sings, "the world treat you mean Lawd, treat me mean too," I cry every time. I also love to hear her sing "How I Got Over" and "Silent Night."
Oh - I just remember one Southern Gospel song that I love the recording of: "Peace in the Valley" sung by Elvis. LOVE that one, and I'm not even a big Elvis fan.
And I love bluegrass gospel whether it's recorded or live. Bluegrass is just in my blood. I've always been a music snob too, but when I hear bluegrass I can just let go of my critical thoughts and enjoy the music. My Granddaddy and his brothers always played bluegrass together, and I didn't appreciate it enough when I was little. I learned to play dulcimer a little, but I'd like to learn to play better one day. And my dream is to be able to play mandolin one day! That would be so cool. It just heals my soul to hear "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," "I'll Fly Away," or "Angel Band."
Ah, I was just kidding. I noticed the comments were slow in coming, so I thought I'd break the ice!
Hiya. It's Rebecca. Just wanted you to know that I found your site and am going to put a link of yours on mine. Hugs.
i hope i don't sound to mean spirited here. I know that God hears all music that comes from the heart.
okay, now that was down right cheesy.
Yes, we can feel the mice gathering at that last comment :)
Post a Comment
<< Home