Tuesday, August 15, 2006

God, please don't take him yet

surely, one of the greatest men living.
father of nine children.
grandfather to over 50.
salt of the earth.
what do I remember?
I remember driving away from him as a little girl, as he stood on the side of the road, watching us move from him--surely, he knew what I didn't--that we would be moving from him forever. But, he stood there. Longer then all the rest, with tears in his eyes. I watched him until he disappeared. I've never forgotten it, even 23 years later.
when the bible talks about being the salt of the earth, I know he took it to heart. He's simple. He's wise. He's incredibly funny. I remember how my brother came to the breakfast table, incredibly late, and I secretly laughed so hard because grandpa just took one look at his sleepy face and said, "Go wash your dirty face and hands." My brother looked shocked and just got up and did it. It still makes me smirk because no one can easily tell my brother what to do. (grandpa hates sleeping in.)
when I am stressed I just close my eyes and think of grandpa's and grandma's house. The smell of the country air. The wind blowing softly through the curtains. Simplicity, acceptance.
I remember the smell of bacon in the morning. I remember grandpa's usual breakfast. Oat meal and a slice of bacon.
I remember his grin. His laugh. The way he still jokes and teases my grandma. There is a love between them that no one could possibly explain away. It just is. No explanation needed.
I also remember how I haven't been a good grand-daughter the last 5 years. I didn't go to his 80th birthday party because I had a singing competition. I could have skipped it.
Please God. Give me another chance to show him that I love him. His surgery is tomorrow. Let him live. For us. The earth is such a lonely, sad place and the thought of him still here gives me comfort. Let him stay. He's the Salt of the earth.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susanne said...

Your post reminded me of my own grandparents' house. I too remember the smell of the country air blowing the curtains. I remember looking out my grandparents' windows and seeing the garden and horses out in the pasture and thinking how nice it would be to live in the country. Some people call country people backward, but I think they really know how to live. My grandfathers have been gone for a few years now, and I miss them terribly. The only comfort is knowing that they're with their Creator and they aren't hurting anymore. My grandmothers are getting by, but they long to be with their husbands. It's so hard for the one left behind. I'll pray that your granddad will get through his surgery and do great. I pray that you and your family will have more years to enjoy him.

5:44 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

thanx so much susanne. my grand dad came through great this morning and if all goes well, i will get to see him in a few weeks. so thankful to God.
i agree that country people really know how to live. thanx for sharing about your grand dad.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

Grandpa did beautifully! He hasn't woken up yet (which is normal for him, he doesn't come out from under easily), but his vitals are good and they expect him to be fine. They may keep him one night in ICU just to be safe, but if he wakes up soon, he might not even have to do that.
Wish I had a copy of that pic for my blog!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

Grandpa is awake now, he knew who everyone was, and seems to be fine. He will stay in ICU tonight and then be in his own room.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home