Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I have discovered a major character flaw...yikes

Yep, this picture about says it. (accept for the "records" part. Ignore that.)
I have a big mouth.
when you are a kid, it's no big deal. I would say just about anything, and my dad would say...operamom, accept using my real name ofcourse, you have to think before you speak. but, it was cute in some ways. The trouble is, I can't keep secrets either. God has been revealing to me, that I really need to work on this. and, I have discovered, embarrassingly, that my family members just don't tell me things, unless they want them told. They don't trust me. yikes. That is the yikes part. Not to be trusted.
I began to realize this about myself--always the first step, realizing something; then I began to try to work on it. Now, this is where I realized how bad I actually am at keeping my mouth shut. Not telling people things, when I really want to blab. Wow. Humbling. That's when I began to realize how big my mouth really is.
so, I would like to take this opportunity, kind-of like I am at an AA meeting on a 12 step program and say--Hello, my name is opera mom, and I have a big mouth. I realize I am helpless against my big mouth and I need a higher power to help me. Now, I would like to take this time to apologize to all that I have wronged through my bigmouthedness. I can only hope that when you begin to talk to me, and you notice that I don't blab anymore, you will begin to trust me again. The next step is to help other bigmouthers to change as well.
if you have a big mouth like me, just know that it destroys trust. You need trust in any relationship, so begin to pray for change! Does anyone else have this problem?

12 Comments:

Blogger operamom said...

yes, the big mouth does come in handy for opera however.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Seth Ward said...

Oh good lord yes. Only on certain things. I have a problem when it is not specified whether to tell or not to tell. If you tell me not to tell then it is sealed in iron under the deepest ocean, if you don't, well, it might just end up on the internet...

Operamom, I bet your inability to keep secrets probably came from not being able to keep secrets from your brother who would know just how long to bug you in order to hear the juicy gossip.

5:44 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

seth, yes, it did come from that peskie bro of mine that i like to blame everything on. hee. hee. hee.
yeah, if someone tells me not to tell then i won't tell, but sometimes someone will be telling me something that is obviously something i shouldn't tell, and for the love of pete, must they always say, "oh, by the way, don't tell this." it is a given that you shouldn't tell some things.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

I'm usually pretty good at not telling things that I'm not supposed to, but I've been know to slip. It makes you feel so awful! The worst case of this that we have in my family is my poor 87-year-old Granny. She used to be great at keeping things to herself, but when you get to be that age you just don't care what people think anymore!

1:09 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

yep, part of what sparked this blog is my grandma. i told her something private, then my parents told me that everyone at the family reunion just seemed to "know." hmmm... I just don't want to be that way. although she is great in a hundred other ways.

7:24 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

snoopy...yes, in the past i have faltered! but, in the future i press on to silent secrecy! i apologize for wronging you! that peskie bro will probe no more!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

To your post...HERE HERE..... ;)

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I do a pretty good job. I have a lot of training though, most of my jobs have required either strict and legal confidentiality, or just good sense to keep my mouth shut.

8:33 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

it's sounds like everyone is better at this than me. i am so glad to find this huge default now though so that i can keep fixin' it.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

I'm sure this is a family problem, OperaMama. On the good side, you come from a very communicative family who likes to talk things out.
On the flip side, sometimes that family can talk a little too much.
Well meaning gossip, perhaps, but gossip just the same.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I demand a new post!

10:45 PM  
Blogger operamom said...

cach, i am highly flattered. there are about 10 posts floating around in my head, but i can't keep up with seth's einstein anyone posts. i'm so intrigued with your comments, craig's and seths. with some snoopy fire thrown in as well!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home